Regulations: Open Fire Ventilation in Republic of Ireland
- Building Regulations 2014, Technical Guidance Document J.
Technical Guidance Document J: Heat Producing Appliances
Requirement: Air supply
J1: A heat producing appliance shall be so installed that there is an adequate supply of air to it for combustion, to prevent overheating and for the efficient working of any flue pipe or chimney serving the appliance.
Section 1: Provisions which apply to all fuel types
18.104.22.168: Where ventilation is provided via a proprietary ventilator the equivalent area, as declared by the manufacturer when tested to I.S. EN 13141-1:2004, should be equal to not less than 80% of the required permanent free area.
1.2.7: A permanent opening should be positioned where it is unlikely to become blocked or cause discomfort from cold draughts… Openings should not be located within a fireplace recess except on the basis of specialist advice.
Section 2: Additional provisions for solid fuel burning appliances (including solid biofuel) with a rated output up to 50kW
2.2: Any room or space containing an appliance should have a ventilation opening (or openings) of at least the size shown in Table 1. For appliances designed to burn a range of different solid fuels the air supply should be designed to accommodate burning the fuel that produces the highest heating output.
Make an open fire ventilation calculation
|Flue or Throat Shape:
Rectangular Flue or Throat
Circular Flue or Throat
|Flue or Throat Size:
|mm Wide x mm Deep
- This calculation assumes the air vent will be in the same room as the open fire and positioned to access directly to the outside.
- Rytons AirCore and AirLiner ventilation sets feature anti-draught systems to promote a comfortable environment in the room. Achieve further draught protection by placing the air vent close to the appliance or at a high level close to the ceiling.
- Consider noise attenuating Acoustic AirCore and AirLiner Ventilation Sets for areas close to continuous noise (e.g. a main road).
- Rytons through-wall stove ventilators have equivalent area calculations.
- Rytons through-wall stove ventilators are HETAS Approved for use with solid fuel, wood and bio-mass appliances.